Chelsea poised to appoint Maurizio Sarri after finally confirming Antonio Conte sacking
Conte was axed yesterday after reaching a compensation agreement with the Chelsea for the final year of his contract.
But Chelsea have only just confirmed the move with a short statement on their club website.
“Chelsea Football Club and Antonio Conte have parted company,” it read.
“During Antonio’s time at the club, we won our sixth league title and eighth FA Cup. In the title winning season, the club set a then-record 30 wins in a 38-game Premier League season, as well as a club-record 13 consecutive league victories.
“We wish Antonio every success in his future career.”
His managergial profile has also been removed although his coaching staff, including his younger brother, remain listed
And Sarri will now be appointed Chelsea’s next manager on a two-year deal with the option of the third.
The Italian is due in London today to sign his contract after Chelsea reached an agreement with Napoli.
Napoli cheif Aurelio De Laurentiis admitted a deal was close to being complete earlier this week and now the wheels are in motion for Chelsea to unveil their new man.
Gianfranco Zola will be appointed as his fellow countryman’s No 2 at Stamford Bridge, 15 years after leaving the club as a player.
Jorginho is also set to complete his move to Chelsea in the coming days.
The Napoli man was spotted in an airport heading to London ahead of his £57.5m move on Thursday.
Jorginho has said his goodbyes at Napoli as he prepares to join the Blues in the coming days.
The Italian was expected to join Manchester City after Pep Guardiola’s long-running interest in the midfielder.
However, the 26-year-old has chosen a move to London over the Premier League champions.
“I will miss Naples very much after five years spent here,” he told CalcioNapoli24.
“I remain forever bonded to this city.”
Sarri will be handed funds to get Chelsea back into the Champions League and will be hoping to hang on to Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois.
There is an agreement in place to prevent Chelsea signing players from Napoli after Jorginho’s deal is complete.
Conte leaves the club after two season, having won the Premier League in his first and the FA Cup in his second.
But he was at odds with the clubs since last summer when he told Diego Costa he had not future at the club and allientated several first team players.
Willian is expected to depart while Hazard and Courtois’ futures are uncertain with Real Madrid keen on both.
The managerial saga though has finally moved on after players were left confused this week when Conte took charge of pre-season training despite being on course for the sack.
Conte was prepared to see out the final year of his deal and even rejected the chance to manage Real Madrid to force Chelsea into paying up the final year of his deal.