Everton sack Sam Allardyce as shock new candidate emerges amid Marco Silva talk
Everton appointed Allardyce as manager with the club stuck in a rut at the start of the Premier League season.
However, despite steering the Toffees to eighth in the table, Everton have now made the decision to relieve him of his duties.
Professor Denise Barrett-Baxendale said: “On behalf of the Chairman, Board of Directors and Mr Moshiri, I’d like to thank Sam for the job he has done at Everton over the last seven months.
“Sam was brought in at a challenging time last season to provide us with some stability and we are grateful to him for doing that.
“However, we have made the decision that, as part of our longer-term plan, we will be appointing a new manager this summer and will be commencing this process immediately.
“Again, we’d like to place on record our sincere thanks to Sam for his work with us over the last few months and wish him well for the future.”
A shock new candidate has emerged in the form of Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe.
The BBC say the Cherries manager has supporters at the club, who could make a move for him if Marco Silva proves too problematic.
Everton angered Watford earlier in the season, with the Hornets accusing them of making an ‘unwarranted approach’ for Silva while he was manager.
Meanwhile, Allardyce was axed less than 24 hours after he slammed Everton for tinkering with the board without his consultation.
“I’m shocked, disappointed and disgusted that the football club didn’t have the decency to tell me, my Director of Football and my staff about the changes,” he said.
“They must have been in the pipeline for a considerable time but no-one thought to tell me and my staff. I’m pretty disgusted.
“I came into the football club with the team struggling and we have finished 8th in the table. I’m more than happy with what myself, my staff and the players have achieved from when I came in.
“I will be meeting Farhad on Wednesday morning to discuss what happens next but I’m not expecting a long meeting.”