Premier League insist they ‘will investigate’ any evidence that Manchester City have broken FFP rules
The Premier League has broken its silence on the financial fair play allegations levelled at Manchester City this week by the Football Leaks website via the German newspaper Der Spiegel, promising to act if it finds that any of its own rules have been broken.
The league leaders have been hit with a series of allegations over its finances, including that it struck a backroom deal with Uefa having broken the European governing body’s financial fair play regulations. The Premier League does not permit its teams to lose more than £105 million over a three-year period and as things stand the accounts submitted by City have not put the club in danger of breaching those limits.
However, the league made clear on Saturday night that if there was new evidence showing that City had broken FFP rules, then it would act. So far the Premier League has only seen the reports published by Der Spiegel and has not been privy to any new evidence or the cache of documents which the Football Leaks website says was obtained legally.
In a statement responding to the allegations made against City this week, a spokesman for the Premier League said: “The Premier League has a range of financial rules and disclosure obligations that apply to all clubs, and result in on-going monitoring of club finances.
“If we receive any substantiated material that suggests our rules may have been breached, or relevant information has not been disclosed, we will investigate and have a track record of doing so. These processes are confidential and we do not comment publicly unless there is anything substantial to say.”